Friday, September 25, 2009

A Short Stroll in New Boston


On my way home from Concord yesterday, I took the scenic route. Hooray for the Everett Turnpike, but Rt. 13 has all the charm. About 45 minutes and four historic markers after leaving Concord, I was in New Boston.

Just a couple of minutes by car from the town center is the Skofield Conservation area. Its little trail, the Briar Hill Loop, is as pleasant a workday walk as I've ever had. I didn't have much time to spare since I was already taking the long way home, but it took me less than half an hour to savor the trail. I'd have finished sooner if I hadn't brought my camera with me.

I owe thanks to the Piscataquog Watershed Association for listing this area in their wonderful guide book, which I found at Toadstool Bookshop in Milford. I never would have found the trail on my own.

No comments: